Lihue is the cultural and historical center of Kauai Island of Hawaii.
This Hawaii Island, also called ‘Garden Isle’, comprises lush green valleys, evergreen jungles, sea cliffs, beautiful waterfalls, and long winding rivers.
Since more than 70% of the Kauai Island is inaccessible by road, hundreds of helicopters take off daily with tourists on board.
Kauai’s main airport is in Lihue and is known as the Lihue Airport.
Table of contents
- Kauai ECO Adventure Helicopter Tour
- Ultimate Kauai Adventure
- Kauai Helicopter Tour with No Middle Seats
- Deluxe Waterfall Safari
- Doors Off Helicopter Tour from Lihue
- Airplane tours from Lihue
- What to see in Kauai Island
- Restrictions strictly followed
- Exclusions of the air tour
- Map of Kauai Island
- Cancellation policy
Kauai ECO Adventure Helicopter Tour
This tour is the most popular Kauai helicopter tour taking off from Lihue.
You go up in a new Eurocopter Eco-Star helicopter and take in the diverse terrain of the island.
Since this is the latest model of tourism helicopters, you enjoy business class-style seats, full windows, two-way radio communication with the pilot, and noise reduced engines.
Departure: Lihue Heliport, 3730 Ahukini Rd #8, Lihue, HI 96766, USA (Get directions)
Duration: 50 minutes
Tour Operator: Blue Hawaiian*
Tour timings: 8 am to 4.30 pm
Cost: US$379 per person
Every year since 1998, Blue Hawaiian’s maintenance engineers have earned the FFAA’s Certificate of Excellence ‘Diamond Award.’ No other helicopter tour company in Hawaii has received it even once.
Ultimate Kauai Adventure
This tour from Lihue happens on a modern helicopter explicitly designed for sightseeing with large viewing windows and a professional guide.
Departure: Sunshine Helicopters, 3416 Rice St, Lihue, HI 96766, USA (Get directions)
Duration: 45-55 minutes
Tour Operator: Sunshine Helicopters
Tour timings: 8 am, 10 am, 1 pm, 3 pm
WhisperStar Luxury Helicopter: US$349 per person
FXStar Standard Helicopter: US$294 per person
Kauai Helicopter Tour with No Middle Seats
Since this is a private tour, you get the whole helicopter to yourself.
Once at the Lihue Heliport, you get to choose if you want the experience of Door on or Doors off helicopter.
For a small fee, you get Gopro mounts, using which you can record what you see.
Departure: Lihue Heliport
Duration: 1 hour 15 minutes
Tour Operator: Ali’i Air Tours & Charters
Tour timings: 9 am to 4.15 pm
Cost: US$399 per person
Deluxe Waterfall Safari
This tour is often also referred to as ‘Safari helicopter Kauai’.
During this chopper tour from Lihue, you will cover 160 kms (100 miles) of amazing Kauai scenery from the air.
This helicopter ride includes pick up from select hotels.
Once your purchase is complete, you’ll be able to coordinate pickup details directly with your operator.
Departure: Safari Helicopters, 3225 Akahi St, Lihue, HI 96766, USA (Get directions)
Duration: 55 minutes to 1 hour
Tour Operator: Safari Helicopters
Tour timings: 8.25 am to 3.50 pm
Cost: US$309 per person
Doors Off Helicopter Tour from Lihue
If you want to increase the adrenalin rush during your helicopter tour in Kauai, we recommend the doors-off experience.
Even as you glide over scenic vistas of lush rainforests, dramatic cliffs, and tumbling waterfalls, you will feel the island breeze in your hair, making you one with nature.
You can also snap stunning photos from your mobile because there will not be the barrier of windows.
This experience is the only doors-off helicopter tour that takes off from Lihue Airport.
Duration: 1 hour
Tour Operator: Mauna Loa Helicopters Kauai
Tour timings: 8 am to 4.15 pm
Cost: US$419 per person
Airplane tours from Lihue
If you are one of the tourists who feels safer in an airplane than in a helicopter, Lihue doesn’t disappoint.
Three fixed-plane tours of the Kauai Island take off from Lihue, and all offer equally breathtaking views of the lush green island.
You can book the most popular airplane tour, which takes you around the whole island in 70 minutes.
Check out the private airplane tour if you don’t mind the cost but want the whole plane for yourself.
If you want to spend maximum time in the air, check out the 90-minutes long airplane tour over Lihue, Kauai, and the Forbidden Island.
What to see in Kauai Island
Highlights of most helicopter tours taking off from Lihue in Kauai include 27 Kms (17 miles) long Na Pali Coast in the North and Waimea Canyon, which is also known as ‘Grand Canyon of the Pacific’ in SouthWest.
Other than these two, the other sights you see include Jurassic Park Falls, the Hanapepe Valley, the Hanalei Valley, and Mt. Waialeale, etc.
Restrictions strictly followed
- All passengers 18 years and older will be required to show a photo ID such as a driver’s license or passport at the time of check-in.
- Passengers wearing dark clothing have less reflection in the windows when flying and therefore you can get better photos during their tour.
- Kids over two years must occupy their own paid seats. Infants under 24 months must sit on an adult’s lap.
- Children must be at least ten years of age or older to go on doors off in Hawaii. An adult must accompany passengers aged 10 to 18 years. Only age 16+ guests can sit on an edge/outside seat.
- The Lihue heli tours are NOT wheelchair accessible.
- For the safety of all guests, the tour operator reserves the right to refuse service to intoxicated passengers. In such a case, the passenger won’t be refunded.
- If you have booked a doors-off helicopter tour, it is better to wear jackets or sweatshirts, closed-toe shoes, long pants, and hair ties.
- Even though most travelers can join a helicopter tour, they aren’t recommended for pregnant women, travelers with back problems, heart problems, or other severe medical conditions.
- If you have gone scuba diving within 24 hrs of the planned take-off, it can be dangerous for you. Always book an air tour at least a day after a scuba diving session.
- Due to FAA regulations, all passengers must be weighed at check-in.
- For the safety and comfort of all passengers, an additional seat must be purchased for each passenger weighing 109 Kg (240 pounds) or more, or combined weights of 190 Kg (420 Pounds) per couple. This is payable directly to the tour operator on the day of the tour.
Exclusions of the air tour
Lihue helicopter tours do not include hotel pick-up and drop-off.
HD video of actual flight on USB (available to purchase) and refreshments are excluded from your ticket.
Your ticket price is also not inclusive of gratuities.
Map of Kauai Island
You can cancel your helicopter tour of Lihue, Hawaii, up to 24 hours before the experience for a full refund.
All air tours over Hawaii require good weather.
If it is canceled due to poor weather (heavy rain, low cloud ceilings, lightning, or extreme winds), you will be offered a different date or a full refund.
Failure to show up for your appointment without notice will result in the cancellation of your tour without a refund.